Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Hardest Thirty Days


"Consecrate yourselves for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you."  Joshua 3:5

I was losing focus.


Dex, my 17 year old, asked me to do The Hardest Thirty Days Bible study with him at church. It is a teen-oriented study that challenges you to give up anything that might get in the way of growing closer to God. So....Sunday we started and the leader challenged us to give up one thing for the whole 30 days in addition to whatever the study assigned us to give up.

Dex and I agreed, which was not a coincidence I'm sure, that desserts and TV held pretty high spots in our hearts. So, we gave up sweets and TV other than football. It's not that I can't miss football games; I just didn't want to sit in a different room from my husband for 30 days!

Today is Thursday, the fourth day, and I was beginning to lose my resolve. Something about Thursday nights makes me want to lie on the couch, watch NCIS and HouseHunters International reruns, and eat Blizzards from Dairy Queen. It 's the calm before the storm that is Friday night high school football, especially this week's much anticipated game between Seminole and Monahans.

This afternoon, I lay on the couch and read my Yada Yada Prayer Group novel, took a quick nap, and then had the serious and probably hormone-induced craving for Blizzards and TV. My weak, "I choose You, God." was uninfectious. So, I've moped around a bit and then got on Facebook and saw Sharron Fires's verse. Wow!!! I forgot why I was doing this!!

I don't know what God has in mind, but I want to be ready.






1 comment:

  1. Bless your heart, dear friend. I will pray for you and Dex and this 30 day challenge. Your blog blessed my heart, too.

    ReplyDelete